[Advaita-l] meaning for certain mantras

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 03:39:02 CDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 1:33 AM, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Bhaskar YR wrote:
>
>> Here in South India most of the people use Apo hishThaa maNtra for
>> shuddhOdaka snAnaM & hiraNyavarNAshuchayaH pAvakAyAsu jAtaH kashyapo
>> yAsvindraH..... for *malApakarshaNa snAnam* and after each paNchAmruta
>> dravya (like milk, curd, ghee, honeyetc. ) abhishekaM. we use either
>> sadyOjAtAdi maNtra or chaturvEdArambha maNtrAH & upanishad maNtra.  In
>> sandhyA also along with apavitraH pavitrOva, we use Apo hishThA &
>> hiraNyavarNAH mantra-s...During bath, we chant aghamarshaNa sUkta from
>> tatitireeya mahAnArAyaNa.
>>

> It occured to me I may have been a little unclear.  dadhikrAvNNo... we use
> in pa~nchAmR^itasnAna in puja.  Apo hiShTA... is used for for kalasha
> jalapuraNa, and shuddhodakasnAna in puja and mArjana in sandhyA.  This is
> according to shuklayajurveda and Gujarati parampara.

Actually regional paramparas can vary quite widely. The Tamil region
generally does not use specific mantras for different abhishekhas -
but the Andhra tradition which seems to be followed by Karnataka
people, also uses specific mantras for different abhishekhas. I'll try
to sumarize some of these from a Sringeri publication when I get some
time.

Rama