[Advaita-l] Pratyavaaya paapam

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 14:31:34 CDT 2008

--- On Mon, 10/20/08, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:

Jaldharji - PraNAms

Here is my understanding:

The discussion of pratyavaaya paapam is irrelevant for sanyaasins since they do not have those nityya karmas. The discussion with reference to them only pertains to mixing karma with jnaana as requirement for moksha. Hence Shankara dismisses jnaana karma samucchaya taking sanyaasins as basis.

The subsequent discussion of Shankara related to pratyavaaaya paapam therefore refers to only gruhastas.

The pertinence of Ch. Up reference with bhovotpatti from abhaava is across the board - one cannot have existence from non-existence. This argument stands on its own without any relavence to aashrama of the adhikaari.

Looks like my understanding of bhaashya differs from yours. All I can say is my understanding is based on Swami Purushottamanandaji's not too long ago detailed analysis of Shankara Bhaashya of B. Gita.

Hari Om!
Sadananda