[Advaita-l] help needed on viewing, downloading and converting tiff files from digital library of India

Ravi abhayambika at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 09:56:40 CDT 2008

RAMESH RAMANAN <rameshramanan at ...> writes:

> Dear all members on the Advaita-vedanta.org Board,
>   Pranams,
>
>   I will be sincerely grateful if someone could guide me on viewing,
downloading and converting TIFF files
> into pdf files from the digital library of India. I found many useful files,
but was unable to download or
> convert them into pdf format. The members can email me at
> rameshramanan at ... with their suggestions and advice. Thanks
> in advance, Ramesh Ramanan.

I have done this for over a dozen books so far (including the vaidyanaatha
diixitiiyam at vaidyanatha.ambaa.org and some pdf files in ambaa.org/pdf/).
Even though I prefer regular printed and bound books, there are some advantages
in having these PDF files. a) You get access to out of print books and
b) You can print them on acid free high quality paper if you want preserve
them for long time.

This is what I do:

1. From FireFox using alternatiff, I figure out the location.

2. Use wget and download all the pages

3. Use the tool "tumble" on linux to put them together as a single PDF file.

There are PC (win32) based tools like tumble, but you have to buy them. But I
never researched this topic in depth - I continue to use the technology that
works for me. Some of my friends prefer that I load the file in DJVU format -
but I have not tried that yet.

Hope this helps.

Ravi