[Advaita-l] Fw: Sankara Mutt

sunil bhattacharjya skbhattacharjya at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 14:55:16 CDT 2008

Dear Shri Vidyasankarji and Shri Narayanji,

I wish to add to the last para of the last mail of Vidyasankarji.
Sanskrit is not a difficult language at all. We have only to create
the necessary environment. Once I visited a village on the outskirts
of Shimoga in Karnataka, where everybody down to the small child
speaks in Sanskrit. I learnt Sanskrit 55 years ago and though I read
Sanskrit texts fairly well I found that even the small children there
could speak Sanskrit so effortlessly whereas I was not able to
converse with them that confidently in Sanskrit. I was invited to
spend a week or so there but unfortunately I could not do that due to
my preoccupation. There the guest house charges are very moderate and
one can really enjoy the beauty of the divine language there. I
understand there are a couple of other villages in India also where
they speak in Sanskrit. My own great grandfather ran a Tola (something
like a Sanskrit institution) in our local place and my uncle insisted
that I should pursue higher studies in Sanskrit as per the past family
tradition but I went to the Science line. But Sanskrit is a language
one always enjoys speaking or listening, though I leave the literary
writing in Sanskrit to the real scholars.

Regards,

Sunil K.Bhattacharjya