[Advaita-l] Vedastuti part I

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Sep 26 14:48:48 CDT 2008

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, NARAYANA MURTHY wrote:

> Shri Jaldhar Vyas mahASayA, this has reference to your reference to
> shridharacharya as considered by gaudiyas which is mentioned below.
> The most influential commentator, shrIdharAcharya is claimed by gauDIyas
> as one of their own but in fact was an advaitin too.   There is factual
> inaccuracy.   Gaudiyas do not claim shridharacharya as one of their own
> but denounce him in no uncertain terms

Thankyou for your comments and sorry for the long delay in responding.

The link you gave is very interesting but I don't know if it can be
considered "pramAna" for the official view of the gauDIyas as it seems to
be a forum for dissidents from that sect.  In my own conversations (or
arguments or shouting matches :-) with ISKCONites and the like I have
heard several times that Shridhar was a Vaishnava and they find it
unbelievable that he could be a "Mayavadi" This is a huge problem for them
because Chaitanya himself spoke with approval of this commentary.  Yet it
is obvious to anyone who actually deigns to read it that it follows an
advaita interpretation and quotes Shankaracharya and other advaitins such
as Chitsukha and Punyanand with respect.  In fact one person in the forum
you mentioned says there is a tradition that Shridharacharya was the 10th
jagadguru of the Puri math.

I have also been told that Shridharacharya was a shishya of Vishnuswami in
the shuddhadvaita sampradaya.  The problem with this is that
shuddhadvaita Vedanta is for all practical purposes the creation of
Vallabhacharya who wrote his own commentary on the Bhagavata out of
dissatisfaction with existing ones.  As far as I know the present Pushti
Margis (the followers of Vallabhacharya) don't read Shridharacharya which
is very strange if he is one of the founding acharyas of their sampradaya
isn't it?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, sunil bhattacharjya wrote:

> Namaste,
>
> Yes, Sridharacharya was an advaitin and so also was Keshava Kashmiri
> Bhattacharya (who initiated Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and given the latter
> the shodadakshiya Mahamantra). I have read it in the Tattvaprakashika,
> the commentary of the Bhagavad Gita by Keshava Kashmiri Bhattacharya.

Do you mean Keshava Bharati?  Keshava Kashmiri was one of the leaders of
the Nimbarka sampradaya and lived about 100 years before Chaitanya so it
is exceedingly unlikely that he could have initiated him. Swami Keshava
Bharati on the other hand was definitely an Advaitin dashanami sannyasi
who gave Chaitanya sannyasa diksha.

As we have previously discussed in the list, there is ample evidence to
show the Gaudiya movement began as a splinter of Advaita Vedanta rather
than from some Vaishnava origin and only developed its vehement emnity to
its parent sometime after Chaitanya.