[Advaita-l] Sraddha and Chitta-shuddhi

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 1 20:43:28 CDT 2009

In case someone didn't get the gist:

Sraddha is better translated as "Deep sense of Dedication to the task at hand". Even if a person learns Logic or Science with sincerity and dedication, he has Sraddha. OTOH, if a person worships the Deities in a sloppy manner, he doesn't have Sraddha!

The word "pleasure" used in the write-up below may be substituted by "joy". I left it unaltered so as to retain the words of my teacher as-is.

The idea is that one derives true joy from doing one's duty with Sraddha or sense of dedication, especially Vedokta Karmas. This leads to Chitta-shuddhi or purity of mind.