[Advaita-l] Waking and Dream States - II

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Apr 2 05:06:22 CDT 2009

Sri Sadananda

Thank you again for your generoosity.

I think we are in agreement; except in that I understand that chidaabhaasa
arises only from the contact with objects of the senses. My point was that
in the state of being in dream, there are not such external objects,
therefore chidabhaasa as such does not arise..though other aabhaasa may
already exist.. i.e. one does not learn about reality from the dream
itself.. only perhaps from the content of the dream and the fact that it has
occurred.

In fact, by good grace, an example occurred last night, when I dreamed that
I was witnessing a tree full of oranges in our Northern family garden... I
was entranced by the sight... but learned nothing... no real oranges !

So the memory of the dream is to a degree useful : it points towards
ultimate truth; and accords with the sruti..

I look forward greatly to your further enlightenment. And I'm sure others do
too. Thank you.

Michael