[Advaita-l] Pancikarana vs. Trivrtkarana (analysis)

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 14 19:37:10 CDT 2009

Dear Bhadraiahji,

We know that when we consider that atoms have the electrons surrounding the nucleus, which the protons and neutrons, we can explain the whole lot of chemical and physical phenomena. But at the higher level if we talk of quarks and anti-quarks etc. it becomes difficult to relate that directly to the physical and chemical phenomena. Similar may be the case with the Trvrtkarana and Pancikarana. At the highest level the Brahmajnani may perceive the process of creation as Pancikarana but for the yogi who has not yet attained that supreme state the Trivrtkarana may the stepping stone to understanding the process of creation.

Secondly I think we should not really make a fuss of the divisions of the Vedas saying that this is a Yajurvedic concerpt and that the other is a Samavedic concept. As the Puranas tell us that all the Vedas and the Puranas together were called Yajurveda before Vedavyasa undertook the division of the Vedas into the four Vedas and relegated the Puranas as the fifth Veda.

Thirdly you said "I do not have any interest or competence in discussing historical issues or works of post Sankara scholars. I have a query. Have we really succeeded in dating all the Acharyas starting from Gaudapadacharya onwards. I myself have a question regarding the date of Adi Sankaracharya. I read somewhere that He was born in a Nandan year and have we checked whether the proposed dates conform to this requirement?

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya