[Advaita-l] Pancikarana vs. Trivrtkarana (analysis)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Apr 15 00:46:27 CDT 2009

praNAms Sri Sunil prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Chandogya upanishad calls them as the fifth veda and not me please.

>  very interesting, pardon me I didnot know that!! could you please
provide me the mUla maNtra (original in Sanskrit) with reference & if
possible shankara bhAshya on it prabhuji..

Mahabharata says that without reading them one should not read the Vedas so
they may not be all that any later composition.

>  However, traditionally we say that ItihAsa & purANa-s should be
subservient to shruti-s (i.e. vedOpanishads)and purANa-s themselves cannot
be a pramANa independently...

As itihasa isĀ one of the five essential criteria for the puranas the
itihasa portion went on getting updated from time to time. So the antiquity
of the puranas is not any lesser than that of the Vedas.

>  I doubt this would be accepted at traditional circle..Though we consider
purANA-s also a valid pramANA (as long as it goes in line with shruti
siddhAnta), we dont treat it on par with shruti-s/veda-s...because of the
simple reason that smruti, itihAsa & purANa-s are time bound paurusheya
texts whereas veda-s are kAlAteeta apaurusheya shAstra grantha-s which are
the very exhalation of paramAtman..

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar