[Advaita-l] Metre of 'Bhaja GOvindam'

Naresh Cuntoor nareshpc at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 17:59:12 CDT 2009

Namaste Krishnan ji,

Bhaja govindam is metrically highly irregular. It does not follow the same
Chandas throughout.

Incidentally, none of the stanzas seem to be in the toTaka meter.

An example of toTaka meter is the toTaka-aShTaka, in which each paada
(quarter) is metrically equivalent to -

bhava shankara-deshika-me sharaNam.
Using 1 to represent 'laghu' and 2 to represent 'guru', the format is
1 1 2 - 1 1 2 - 1 1 2 - 1 1 2

And toTaka is not related to indravajra or upendravajra, both of which are
types of triShTup.
A mixture of indravajra and upendravajra is called upajaati.

Naresh P. Cuntoor