[Advaita-l] Yajna and Homa

Umashankar V urshankar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 12:57:09 CDT 2009

Dear Friends,

I have read through the mail chain and by-and-large the message I get it
Yajna and homa are same (or) similar. Yajna has a collective good as its
collective activity.

In which case, I have a query - Vajapeya Yajna, or for that matter what
Janamejaya did - Sarpa Yajna in order to get Swarga prapti for his father.
There was a king who was propted by Sage Narada to also do a "mlechha Yajna"
as the King's father was killed by Mlecchas and he was in Yamaloka, he did
the Yajna to send his father to Swarga. How can they be called "collective"
or for "collective good"  ? Were they not a kamya karma of an individual?

Kindly clarify. I am awed and pleasantly shocked to see this discussion
because only last week I discussed my doubts with some learned scholars.
They also expressed similar views.

Thanks for this good discussion. I feel its time we revive some of the most
wonderful aspects of our tradition.

Umashankar.V