[Advaita-l] praNava

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 11 13:42:38 CDT 2009

Namaste,

I should have mentioned this point in my earlier posts.
Your observation that praNava has sound N and
not n is correct. I am no expert on Sanskrit grammar.
However, being a part of this email list has enabled
me to pick up some grammar rules. One such rule
changes a "n" to "N" when preceded by "r" sound.
So praNava  = pra + nava is a valid break up.

Can someone explain this rule in more details?

Also on bIja akshara-s, I firmly believe that by prolonged
contemplation on individual sounds making up the
bIja akshara-s we can start to understand the meaning
latent in them.

Regards,
Shrinivas

Dears
The word pranava has different spelling in Sanskrit.Na has to be pronounced
with a thick na and not with  the tip of the tongue touching the upper
teeth.Like phana denoting a snake.A small difference in pronounciation will
alter the meaning differently.Navam also means 9.Let us not indulge in
distortion of the intended meanings.One more point beejaksharas have no
meaning in the sense that words carry meaning.they are original sounds
emanated from the Divine is the belief of the forefathers.Pada chedham or
separating the vowels and consonats also may vary.R.Krishnamoorthy.

Namaste,
Shri Bhattacharjya's interpretation of praNava = pra + nava is very
interesting.
Any more comments/ references on this?
Regards,
Shrinivas