[Advaita-l] New member introduction: Shakthi Prashanth

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 18:27:36 CST 2009

Dear Shankthi Prashanth,

When we say 'knowledge' it is that which has comes to our understanding that
was not there before.  It is like knowing there is a pot.  Either there was
no pot there before (so you have no knowledge of the pot) or that you did
not know that there was a pot there before (because you have not seen it).
These understanding happen in time and space.  That understanding  was also
caused because cause and effect signify coming into being of something that
was not there before.  In short, all objective understanding belongs to the
triad called space, time and causality.

But when we say 'I' it does not conform to the idea of knowledge that has
occurred to us in the triad.  'I' is known to us independent of time, space
and cause.  This 'I' is  known without any aid whatsoever and therefore this
'I' is beyond cause.  Therefore 'I' of such knowledge is *independent* of
time, space and cause.   This self-awareness denoted by the 'I' is
differentiated from the common (objective) knowledge (that is dependent on
time,space and cause) by denoting it as '*gnana*'.  Thus gnaana is *
different* from knowledge though we tend to use it interchangeably.

The 'gnana' of 'I' is beyond time, space and cause and is natural.  Why is
this natural?  Because this gnana does not need the help of any aid to know
because there is no time or space or cause involved. (All aids exist in
time, space and causality).

That which is in time and space is negatable.  That which is beyond time,
space and cause is not negatable.  Why?  Because in order to negate you need
time, space and cause!

Only when you forget yourself as in the story of the tenth man you need
someone else to tell you.  That someone else is the Guru.

You cannot claim to be part of the time and space and yet claim you are
beyond time and space.  Once you are told who you are by the Guru then the
time, space and causality vanishes instantaneously like the mist before the
sun.

*If you say "I know who I am but the space, time and cause have not vanished
for me", that is exactly where you have got into difficuty as to who you
are!*

*This is because you have simply reckoned that you are the body*.  This
misplaced reckoning is called avidya.  Avidya is knowing something as
different from what it really is.  We Vedantins call this person afflicted
with avidya as the forgetful or lost man.

In real terms knowing oneself is not at all complicated.  You would agree
with me when you know!  You may come across lots of people delighting
themselves in exotic complications.  But then it is part of this world!