[Advaita-l] Aham Brahmaasmi

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Dec 30 14:51:58 CST 2009

I don't want to be pedantic about this. English 'grammar' has always eluded
its own rules. And the verb 'to be' is such a special case :
'I AM writing'; ~I HAVE written' -- how far can we parse these 'auxiliary
verbs' ?

'Aham' --is that a noun, 'I-awareness'; or a pronoun and verb ? I took -asmi
to be a reflexive and an intensive as you say. Aham brahmasmi is often
translated 'I myself am Brahman'.. or sometimes 'This I is Brahman'. And am
I right in saying that the presence of a verb in Vedic/Sanskrit is not
obligatory as it is in English ? 'Me Tarzan; you Jane' is not good English
grammar... but in a way more truthful than 'I am Tarzan'...

So I wouldn't case to lay down any statement on this. It's awesome to me to
think that grammar itself is more ancient than any human institution.
Professor Renouf was it, who believed that all the Vedic vocabulary arose
from ritual..or you could say from the dance of Shiva. I find that a
wonderful thought too. But I digress.

Michael