[Advaita-l] Svarita TP Rules

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 11:38:48 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Naresh Cuntoor <nareshpc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> pluta has no connection with the accenting. pluta refers to duration
>> of the sound, in the case of pluta refers specifically to the svaras
>> a, i and u (svara is the technical term for a vowel in the TP and not
>> to be confused with svara used for accents in common parlance).
>> svarita is an accent - or the tone: high, low ,medium etc.
>
> Yes. No confusion between svaras in say, music and svaras in TP or in
> the Paninian sense. And no confusion between accenting and duration
> either.
> What I meant was that the elongation at the end in svAhA(A), I thought
> was a pluta. Unless I am misunderstanding, you referred to them as
> dIrgha svarita (referrign to your comments below). My question was not
> about the accent, which is svarita.
>

>> The hrasva and dIrgha svaritas are not really technical terms found in
>> the TP. This distinction is unknown to, or not specified at any rate,
>> by the TP. These refer to the 1 upward stroke and two upward strokes
>> found in some modern texts respectively.
>
> If the two upward strokes (eg., above the mI in agnimILe ) is called a
> dIrgha, then it would be indistinguishable from the usual dIrgha svara
> (which incidentally may be in udAtta/anudAtta). Eg., the dIrgha shI in
>  sahasrashIrSha puruShaH.

I think we are talking at cross-purposes here. My entire mail was
about hrasva and dIrgha *svaritas* (for 1 upward and 2 upward strokes
above the syllable respectively) and not hrasva and dIrgha svaras. As
I mentioned, the word pluta means something quite different in the TP,
and has no connection to the svarita with 2 marks above the syllable.
I suggest going back to my mail and re-reading them.

In short, svara is NOT the same as svarita.

Rama