[Advaita-l] Dreams and Reality

Dr D Bharadwaj drdbharadwaj at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 22:19:32 CST 2009

Dear SrI Pranipata,

Experiencing heaviness in carrying when the food was external to the body
and not so when consumed! Since both cannot be true, both has to be
imagination only.

In the case of the food carried we experience the weight of the food only
and *spend* energy to carry. In the case of the same food consumed, we *gain
* energy from the food consumed. I agree with the conclusion you drew from
the example. Perhaps that is more important than the example itself.
Otherwise it might lead to an unnecessary and perhaps unintended *shift*  in
communication.

It is true that there is a subjective, an iimagination aspect to anything we
perceive, both in the dream and in the wakefulness.

@ SrI Suresh,

So long as one is left to consider only the process of 'sanga' of the
indriyas with the objects as 'perception', it really does not matter whether
the objects are from the physical world, as in the wakeful state, or from
the subtle worlds, as in the case of the dreams, visions etc. What we call
the wakeful state is the state of 'a' limited awareness - awareness when
the objects of perception are limited, *mostly or entirely, *to the part of
the gross, physical. The dream state is the state of 'another' limited
awareness - awareness when the objects of perception are limited, *mostly or
entirely, * to a part of the subtle.

Both perceptions are almost identical as far as the process or the means of
perception are concerned. Also, the 'strangeness' and the 'unusualness' or
the 'unfamiliarity' of the dream state is only upon being awake. It was not
so strange etc. in the dream state itself. Both the states are,
*usually,* perceived
with their exclusiveness.

Also, the dream state that we 'talk of' is actually as perceived
from the wakeful state. As such, it is a recollected version or  a re
perceived 'impression' of the dream, from the wakeful state.
As SrI Pranipata had suggested, the 'play' of  an un-quantifiable amount of
imagination cannot be discounted.

So long as, for perception, we happen to have to deal only with and depend
only on the data gleaned with the help of the senses, our perception,
whether in the wakeful state or in the dream state, is 'tainted' by
the limitation of this process and its validity is, at least, suspect as far
as vedantic reality is concerned.

SrI gurucaraNakamalEBhyOnnamah
SrIramaNArpaNamastu

Regards,