[Advaita-l] Adi Sankaracharya and Buddhism

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 21:55:43 CST 2009

Dear Ramaniji,

I too believe in calling a spade a spade.

Firstly Buddhism was not wiped out of India by Adi sankaracharya. It is only after Bakhtiyar Khilji in the 1193 CE killed the 10000 monks and students of the Nalanda university and burnt the entire library of Nalanda and also destroyed several thousand Buddha Viharas that Buddhism practically disappeared from India. It is another thing that some anti-Hindu Dalit writers are telling that the Hindus destroyed the Nalanda University.

Secondly Lord Buddha  learnt Sankhya from Allara kalama.  Sankhya does not talk about God as God cannot be proved. (See Sankhya sutra).  Buddhism, like Sankhya, too is Godless but not necessarily Atheistic. Lord Buddha did say that there is a cause of this world and he believed in the Sankhya concept of Cause and Effect. At his 35 years of age he gave the Hinayana teachings, where he said about Anatta ie the the Ego-self that does not exist
.
After 22 years of that he gave the Mahayana teachings, to his more advanced students, who had already mastered his basic teachings given earlier. Mahayana does talk about Tathagatagarbha, which moves from one birth to the other birth and also about the concept of Shunyata. You have seen Adi Sankaracharya's explanation of Lord Vishnu's name "Shunya" in his bhashya on the Vishnusahasranama. Even one of the Shiva Sahasranama calls Lord Shiva as Shunya. This Shunya is the same as Brahman. Lord Buddha also talked about the Shunyata. The concept of Shunyata is difficult to explain in short. However I will try to simplify. When you evaporate a glass of water it loses shape and vanishes but it does not lose its existence. Similarly when one leaves the five Skandhas (ie, the Koshas or the the five bodies born out of Prakriti) what remains is "Shunyata". When one realises Shunyata one realises Prajna. That is the essence of "Prajnaparamita" of the Mahayana
 Buddhism. Pajna is Brahman. Remember the Vedic dictum "Prajnanam Brahma". Shunyata is not Zero or non-existence. The word "Shunya" comes from the root "Sve", which means to expand. Its meaning is the same as the word "Brahman", which comes from the root Brih, which also means to expand. Adi Sankaracharya was called concealed Buddha by Yamunacharya, the teacher of Ramanujacharya, not for nothing.

Lord Buddha did not criticise the Vedas but he told the brahmins of his time to understand the true meaning of the Vedas and not to be overly rirtualistic. He told them also to meditatate as the brahmins of that time lost all these practices. .He was against animal sacrifice and he prevented Bimbisara from sacrificing animal in a yajna.  In Mahabharata Bhashma says that animal sacrifice was iontroduced by DFhurtas, ie. the clever hypocrites.I agree with Dr. Sarvapalli radhakrishna, who said that Lord refined Brahmanism. It is not for nothing that Hindus call the ninth avatara of Lord Vishnu.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya