[Advaita-l] Query on Ishvara in the Yoga darshana

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 03:17:21 CST 2009

2009/1/16 Shrinivas Gadkari <sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com>:

> This is assuming one wants to use yoga sutras in an integrated and
> constructive manner with gitA, vedanta - take what you feel is
> useful and leave out complicated themes like kaivalya  (if it
> is taken to mean a final goal in itself).

No, I am not talking about integration with gItA or vedAnta but
specifically the position of the classical yoga darshana on Ishvara.
By classical yoga darshana, I mean the system represented collectively
by the yogasUtra-s, the vyAsabhAShya and perhaps the tattvavaishAradI
of vAchaspati mishra.

According to the above system, which of the following are true for Ishvara:
1) sAkShI
2) karmaphaladAtA
3) sRShTi kartA