[Advaita-l] (no subject)

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 24 06:37:12 CST 2009

Dear Dr. Bharadwaji,

There are lot disinformation on Lord Buddha.

Lord Buddha was not against the brahmins. He told what a true brahmin should be like. An entire chapter of Dhammapada is devoted to brahmin. He also said that the next Buddha would be born in a brahmin family. He did not want the brahmins to think that Vedic ritualism is the only thing for the brahmins. He did not stop the Vedic yajna of Bimbisara. He only cited the Vedas to tell him that the Vedas do not sanction animal sacrifice.

People think that the Vedas comprise all the Samhitas, the Brahmanas, the Aranyakas and the upanishads. However Lord Krishna told us in the Bhagavad Gita that he is the source of the Veda as well as of the Vedanta thus drawing a difference between the two. Sayanacharya included only the Samhita and the Brahman portion in the Vedas. In the Bhagavad Gita Lord Krishna told Arjuna to go beyond the Traignyavisaya Vedas and to become Nistraigunya. Mundaka Upanishad also says that Vedic knowledge is Aparaa Vidya. One has to go to the Paraa Vidya. If Lord Buddha can be said to be against  the Vedas then Lord Krishna and the Mundaka Upanishad should also be said to be that much against the Vedas. Because of the prejudiced thinking about Lord Buddha people started thinking that Lord Buddha was anti-Vedic so he is anti-Hindu. The Vedic brahmins of his time had to admit to Lord Buddha that the Vedas did not say that one would  be able to cross the cycle of
 birth and death through these ritualistic practices. That is why he left his home to look for the answer. So much is the logic part.

To me Lord Krishna, Lord Buddha and Adi Sankaracharya are great teachers the world had seen and they do not essentially differ in their views. This is my personal view. Ramakrishna Paramhansa told that there is no doubt that Lord Buddha is an Avatara of God. Swami  Vivekananda told that Lord Buddha was one of the greatest teachers the world had seen. Dr. S. Radhakrishnan told that Lord Buddha was a reformer of Brahmanisn.