[Advaita-l] Science and the Veda

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Jan 30 14:26:47 CST 2009

Namaste Shrinavas,

How kind of you to give me those references. It all makes very good sense. In the language I'm more accustomed to, it is all a matter of levels of consciousness. Obviously, the pen cannot say 'I am on the left corner of the table'.. But the Advaitin dissecting a frog may well see a more conscious image in his mind of the frog in front of him, and discover more..

And for the disciple who finds his guru, the whole cosmos changes..

Perhaps I impose on the Indian mind divisions and distinctions which are Western with regard to science; that may have been the impetus for my initial question, seeking to tanscend such barriers of mind.

I'm not suffiiciently up in quantum physics. But years ago, a friend asked me to read his doctoral thesis on Field Theory; when I'd read it, I exclaimed 'But that's the Perfect Prayer (purnamadah..) !'  But he couldn't see that himself ! So my mind is open; I tend to ask questions on proof on behalf of others !

I have some friends who are studying science in relation to Sanskrit texts (I only found this out two days ago..); I'll wait to see what questions they may have come up with.

I hope that such questions are not considered too far outside the purposes of this website. For me, they are one of the potential meeting points of East and West (excuse the outmoded phrase..).

Thank you again,

Michael