[Advaita-l] manisha panchaka

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Jul 6 23:26:53 CDT 2009

[was: Re: [Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 59, Issue 16]

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Mohan Nagaswamy wrote:

> Coud some one tell me whether the introductory verse of the chandala in
> the Manisha panchakam of Sankara is original, found in all the
> manuscripts or only in some manuscripts. Some publications do not
> include them. If found in any purana or vijayas which is its earliest
> date? Similarly the end verse? Thank you Nagaswamy

Sorry for the delayed response.  I only got a chance to go to the library
and research this today.

I saw two tikas, one called Madhumanjari by Swami Balagopalendra Saraswati
and the other called vivarana by the famous Upanishad Brahma Swami.  Both
of these are fairly recent (c. 17th century AD)  Both commentaries are on
the five main shlokas only.  However both do mention the story of
Shankaracharyas encounter with the chandala in Kashi.

I believe the two frame shlokas are from Madhaviya Shankara Digvijaya.
The story of the chandala is in 6:20-43 of that work.  I'm not 100% sure
because the copy of MSD was not very good.  The MSD belongs to 14th
century AD.

Hope this helps.