[Advaita-l] Gayatri?

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jul 19 04:22:46 CDT 2009

Stephen,

You will get many answers to your question !
Every religion has its 'mantras' or its divine sayings, to help focus the
mind: the 'Jesus prayer' for instance; or the Greek Kyrie Eleison; or
Islamic sayings.

But the Hindu system of mantra -- which is a complex 'science' -- has
refined its practices in accordance with the wisdom of the seers, for
thousands of years.

Its tradition is that the mantra should only/is best/ given by one who has
inherited that tradition. It would be difficult to explain 'the added bonus'
of this. Ritual, small presents, tradition, atmosphere, solemnity, all go to
the presentation of it, which materialists would discount.. but who's in it
for materialism ? The great thing is that the mantra you have received
should be felt as your best and greatest friend, for life, and bring you
closer and closer to the experience of your real self...

I've glanced at the method you refer to, but can't see any virtue in
applying Hindu meditation to the English alphabet.. though any way of
focussing the mind must be good to a degree.

So I really would recommend that -- at the present time, when the West is
still learning from the East -- you seek out a Hindu teacher of meditation
who is recommended (important !) by someone who finds it successful. It's a
very personal, individual matter. I hope there is someone locally to advise
you on this.

I'll leave it now to the pandits on this site to answer you further on this.

And beyond all advice, and all teachers and all personal struggles, I
treasure the saying of Swami Muktananda, which I've found to be so good to
rely on in this personal adventure of life:

'Meditation will teach you meditation.'

Best wishes,
Michael