[Advaita-l] Pancikarana vs. Trvrtkarana (Analysis)

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 21 21:03:34 CDT 2009

> Therein, for me, lies the mystery of the Veda..

Yes, that is indeed the case for most of us too.

> On the lighter side -- I feel more and more, that scholars, even seers,
> should tremble and pray before they add any noun or word to the world's
> vocabulary: such as 'Pancikarana' and 'Trvrtkarana' -- our fellow men can
> argue forever over such terms, and the whole Creation balance on a
> palm-leaf...  :)

Well, I'm not trying to add new vocabulary, just discussing some age-old terminology. While the academic scholarship on Indian philosophies and philosophers may be peripheral at best, if one wishes to understand the philosophies on their own terms, it is an unfortunate consequence of history that a lot of Indian philosophical ideas are presented to us via the lens of an academic legacy. And sometimes, that lens distorts, although I won't deny that at other times, it focuses on some aspects very sharply. All that I am trying to do when criticizing the existing scholarship is an attempt to remove this distortion.

Regards,
Vidyasankar