[Advaita-l] Two Sankara-bhashyas on Kena Upanishad

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 9 18:28:36 CDT 2009

I feel that as the Padabhashyas were written on all the major upanishads including the Kena, Adi Sankaracharya must have written the Vakyabhashya later. There seems to be not an iota of  doubt that he wrote both the bhashyas. After writing the sixteen bhashyas in all he must have given a lot of talks on them at different occasions to different disciples. It is a pity that the reason as to why he singled out Kena for writing two bhashyas on it seems to have been ignored throughout the centuries. Probably the immediate successors of Adi Sankaracharya knew about it but were mum on that due to some peculiar reason. After all these centuries the only option that we have today is probably to have  a careful scholastic approach to compare the two bhashyas and to discover what additional features were highlighted in the Vakyabhashya, even if that was done in  a subtle way.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya