[Advaita-l] vanaprastha in community

sriram srirudra at vsnl.com
Mon Jun 15 19:11:39 CDT 2009

Dear Members
The four systems of living -known as varnashrama dharma- were prescribed by
our ancient Rishis to suit the needs of people of different inclinations but
by no means these were compulsorily enforced.A brahmachari can be a
brahmacharin till his last and so on. But the ashramite should strictly
observe the codes of conduct prescribed as long as he/she is in that way of
life.
At the same time one can also graduate to these 4 ashrams -way of living as
and when he/she feels that he /she has acquired the necessary mental
firmness not to slip away from that once that ashram -stage of life -is
embraced.All these are purely voluntary.In our culture we attach more
importance in the life here after than the present life time and all our
scriptures prepare us for the same so that there is no fear of death.In our
system there is no retirement as such as understood in the western culture
and contributions from all the ashramites were always forthcoming towards
the general weal.R.Krishnamoorthy.