[Advaita-l] Nondual Experience - isn't that a contradiction?

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 22 08:04:57 CDT 2009

Dear Shri Sadanandaji,

>Experince of duality as in waking and dream worlds >and non-duality as in deep sleep will not cease >whether I understand or not. Moksha is understanding >that the substantive of all is Brahman that I am.

The experience of duality as in waking and dream worlds had a beginning, because it happened when Brahman wanted to multiply and become more prosperous. So that experience will have to necessarily cease, isn't it?

Basically the experience of duality will cease because the apparent logical connections between the events in the waking and dream worlds will break down if you pursue the events a bit more keenly than you would otherwise. So the waking and dream experiences, if used to eliminate duality, like a diamond cutting another diamond, will point to non-duality only. That is exactly how Samkhya and yoga work also, because when you do shirshasan, the purpose is not really to do some physical posture that has the ability to give you moksha, but it is really to negate the normal experience of upright living we are used to. If you see that the reality behind the apparent dual experience is just a matter of diamond cutting another diamond, then everything that you see is non-dual self only.

Regards

Bhadraiah