[Advaita-l] apoorva vidhi & niyama vidhi -Br. Up. 1-4-7

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 13 23:02:58 CDT 2009

Bhaskar,

If you go back to the archives, I have discussed this to the

extent that I know of the vArtika and naishkarmyasiddhi, in

the Yoga and Advaita Vedanta thread. I have also pointed

out in that thread, that between Sankara and sureSvara,

there must have been somebody who saw a parisaMkhyA

vidhi where Sankara has room for a niyama vidhi.

That is why, sureSvarAcArya says in the naishkarmyasiddhi,

niyamaH parisaMkhyA vA vidhy artho 'pi bhaved yataH |

anAtmAdarSanenaiva parAtmAnam upAsmahe ||

In the same text, sureSvarAcArya also allows for a vidhi to

grasp the meaning of the tat-pada.

There is an easily accessible translation plus original of

the naishkarmyasiddhi by Arthur Alston, from Shanti Sadan,

UK. The bRhadAraNyakopanishad bhAshya vArtika is truly

bRhat in size, so there is no one translation of the entire

text that is available.

Look for publications from the Maheshwaranand Institute,

Varanasi (Dakshinamurti Math), edited by Subrahmanya
Sastri for the Skt original and a set of publications by Jog

and Hino (Motilal Banarsidass), discussing various portions

of the vArtika, brAhmaNa by brAhmaNa.

Vidyasankar