[Advaita-l] Waking and Dream States - II

Pranipata pranipata at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 31 22:47:57 CDT 2009

>>Here it is the internal to the mind, with reference to the waker's mind.
>>However looking at the mind of the tiny subject in the dream, it is
>>external. The tiny dream subject may need an external light to study a
>>text and he will see it is all dark when all the lights are turned
>>off -All that can be in the dream. Even those lights that are needed for a
>>dream subject is also created by the waker's mind only. In Mantra 4, the
>>discussion is done from the point of the waking mind. But when the next
>>statement of the Upanishad that defines the antaH prajnaH with nineteen
>>gateways and saptaangaH - we are defining with reference to the local guy
>>inside the dream. The reference points should be clear.

Hari Om Shri Sadanandaji,  Pranaams!

Simply put, this is anavasthA doSha.  Positing a mind internal to a mind and
a mind internal to it...  To avoid this only AcAryaji declares the reference
point for internality of dream objects is indriyAs (indriya apekShayA
antasthaH).

In Shri Guru Smriti,
Br. Pranipata Chaitanya

>>And I confess to the urge to explain the world in terms of my waking dream
>>!

Hari Om Shri Michaelji, Pranaams!

Yes. That is also explained by AcAryaji.  yathA jAgare svapiti; tathA eva
svapne. (as is dreamt in waking state, so also in the dream)

akShi gataH rUpaM drShTvA nimIlita-akShaH tad eva smaran manasi antaH
svapnaH eva tad eva vAsanArUpa-abhivyaktaM pashyati.  (The object which he
saw with eye-lids open, the same he recollects closing his eyes like dream;
this is(seeing with closed eye) what is seeing manifestation of vAsanas
without objects. ) (MUKBhashya 1.1)

While equating the two states it is not only done one way I.e. yathA svapne
tathA jAgare; also by other way yathA jAgare tathA svapne. This is called
asamvyApti-parihAraH.

In Shri Guru Smriti,
Br. Pranipata Chaitanya