[Advaita-l] Sankhya & Yoga

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at hotmail.com
Mon May 11 09:23:57 CDT 2009

Dear Shri Jaldhar

Thanks for clarifying. s'vEtAs'vatara VI.13 says

nityo nityAnAm chetanaschetanAnAm eko bahUnAm yo vidadhAti kAmAn

tat kAraNam sAnkhyayogAdhigamyam jnAtvA devam muchyate sarva pAs'ou.

The word adhigamyam might be interesting to debate. gamyam is goal and adhigamyam

could mean chief of goals. The prefix adhi some times adds an extra level of command,

like pati - adhipati, though not always. In case of mahAsamhitas of Tai.Up, adhibhUtaM etc

ending with adhyAtmaM it is unlikely the prefix adhi takes us above the individual components

of each mahAsamhita. E.g., what can be higher than Atma unless we are talking of paramAtma?

The mahAsamhitas are the five merging points, made of the same materials as their constituents.

In Telugu, gamanam is going, and adhigaminchuTa means surpassing, overtaking, or going

beyond the reach. I can extrapolate adhgamyam as 'beyond what you can set as a goal'.

I doubt s'vetAs'vatara had a Telugu bias.

Regards

Bhadraiah

PS: I do not fancy a svarita nityo~nityAnAm because the negation anityAnAm contradicts chetanaschetanAnAm.