[Advaita-l] waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Nov 6 04:24:42 CST 2009

Yes, I agree totally. The desirable state is to allow the light of atman to
pass unclouded through the clear glass of buddhi -- or be reflected
perfectly from it -- and illuminate all actions in its purity. In terms of
the 'four states', wouldn't this be to allow this 'fourth state' of perfect
function of the other states, which is atman, to illuminate whatever may be
shared on occasion between those states, whil allowing each of those states
to be complete in itself ?

Doesn't this actually happen anyway in the cycle of a day, without our
conscious knowledge ? It takes care of itself. My personal interest in the
process is simply concerned with the lack of discussion of the 'dreaming' --
or as I would prefer to call it, the 'thoughful' -- state, in relation to
the mysterious process of 'imagination' which fuels the arts and even
'factual' presengtation, and which can open or 'melt' the closed chitta in
their audience. Obviously the power of atman as truth behind this 'dreaming'
of artists and dancers and writers, lies behind all the arts. I guess it's
outside the range of philosophers; and theologians would look for 'praise'
in the arts.

Michael.