[Advaita-l] A Perspective - 7

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 16:43:52 CST 2009

Sir,

You have stated "This question has dogged Western theology for 2,000 years,
and led to thousands upon thousands of slaughtered, burnings, and
beheadings..."  This statement is rather gory compared to my response that -
"Western philosophies were always concerned with 'men' in general." - is
rather benign.

Whatever I have stated such as: "Philosophically 'unity' is ephemeral and
transitory.  The length of time this unity is sustained could be long enough
to be concerned or short enough to be ignored.  In the ultimate analysis all
generalizations never held water.  This is revealed in our concept of the
cycle of yugas and the pralayas.

So much so the Hindu Dharma had always had the 'individual' in view in
explaining his purushartha, particularly the parama purushartha of escaping
from the cycle." is out and out a vedantic view.   I as an advaitin posted
this in this advaita list for the consumption of fellow advaitins.  It is
upto you to include or exclude yourself.

I was aware that you wanted me to respond on your statement "It is
essentially the question: should men declare the glorious possibility of
'becoming' one with the Creator, Preserver, and Dissolver of the universe?
Or is this a dangerous presumption?"  Sir, truly all possibilities belong to
the realm of the prakrthi, of samsaara, whereas in the world of the Self
there is only absolute certainty.  I have deliberately chosen the later and
did not want to respond on the former.  Only very recently we had an
energetic discussion participated by pundits on who is qualified to become a
Sanyasi.  That is the nature of the prakrthi.  I have not forgotten that.

Sir, I do not know you at all expect as a two dimensional poster like
everyone else and I have no reason to have ill will to anyone.  You have a
name but I don't even have one except a statement that 'love is auspicious'
(Anbesivam) that identifies me.  Of course I do have a tendency to defend
the great Sanaathana Dharma because I am still part of it like all the
varnaasramites.  Only some secularists have escaped it but they continue to
have love-hate relationship to our dharma!

Aum Santhi!

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Michael Shepherd <
Anbu, your deliberate diminutions, distortions and misunderstandings of
anything that can be labelled 'Abrahamic' and dismissed as valueless, do no
credit to useful discussion or to your own reputation.

Michael

Quote: "t is essentially the question: should men declare the glorious
possibility of 'becoming' one with the Creator, Preserver, and Dissolver of
the universe? Or is this a dangerous presumption ?"

Western philosophies were always concerned with 'men' in general.
Philosophically 'unity' is ephemeral and transitory.  The length of time
this unity is sustained could be long enough to be concerned or short enough
to be ignored.  In the ultimate analysis all generalizations never held
water.  This is revealed in our concept of the cycle of yugas and the
pralayas.

So much so the Hindu Dharma had always had the 'individual' in view in
explaining his purushartha, particularly the parama purushartha of escaping
from the cycle.

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Michael Shepherd <
michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk