[Advaita-l] Sivaanandalahari - 30

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 08:04:02 CST 2009

Sivaanandalahari -30वस्त्रोद्धूतविधौ सहस्रकरता पुष्पार्चने विष्णुता
गन्धे गन्धवहात्मताऽन्‍नपचने बहिर्मुखाध्यक्षता ।
पात्रे कांचनगर्भतास्ति मयि चेद्बालेन्दुचूडामणे
शुश्रूषां करवाणि ते पशुपते स्वामिन् त्रिलोकीगुरो ॥ ३० ॥

vastroddhUtavidhau sahasrakaratA puShpArchane viShNutA
gandhe gandhavahAtmatA&n^napachane bahirmuKAdhyakShatA |
pAtre kAMchanagarBatAsti mayi chedbAlenduchUDAmaNe
SuSrUShAM karavANi te paSupate svAmin trilokIguro || 30 ||

Oh! Head of the living beings ( Pasupthi), God, who has crescent moon on his
head, Guru of the three worlds, If I have the nature of the Sun which has
countless hands of sunrays to dress you with cloth and the nature of all
pervasive Vishnu to worship you with flowers and the nature of Air (Vayu),
the nature of spreading the fragrance, to worship you with Sandal powder and
the like and the leadership of Devas who have Agni as their face to cook and
offer you the rice and the nature of Hiranyagarbha (Brahma), to create
suitable vessels for worship, only then I will be capable of worshipping
you.

*Commentary*

Aum

This sloka is a Guru Vandanam to Sri Aadhi SankaraaL (reborn as our Pujya
ParamaachaaryaaL Sri Chandrasekhara Saraswathi) to whom I do anekhakoti
saashtaanga namaskaarams.

Hey! Baalendhu ChoodaamaNE! You are a deena rakshakan and you demonstrate
this bhaava by wearing Baalachandran as your sikaalankaaram.

Hey! PasupathE! You turn the bhakthajeevas who are drowning into the
samsaara saagaram because of their kaamakrodhaadhi paasams, into vimukthaas.

Hey! Swaamin! You have sarvam in your aadheenam.

Hey! TrilOka GurO! You instruct everyone in all the lokas that are sinking
in avidya, the divine knowledge of liberation, according to their respective
qualifications, so they can have the sabalam of their janma.

‘Guroon susrushyaa chaiva’ says the saasthra. Service to the Guru is the
antharanga saadhanam to Guru’s anugraham. Hey! ThrilOka GurO! I need your
kataaksham to become a paathram even to do susrushai to you because I lack
the saamakriya that are required to do the service.

Hey! Parameswara! You are the Sarvavyaapi. I do not have the ability to do
vasthropachaaram with the endless bright rays like Soorya. I do not have the
ability of Kamalaakshan Visnu in doing pushpaarchana. I do not have the
ability of Vaayu in bringing dhivya gandaas from all directions in offering
sugandhObachaaram. I do not have the ability of ‘Baagasaasanan’
devaadhyakshakan Indran who has the bright face of agni, in cooking dhivya
havis. In doing argyam, paadhyam and aachamaneeyam, I do not have the
ability of the Swarnagharbhan Brahma who goes by the name Hiranyagharbhan.
Without these qualifications how can I do the satisfying service to you?

Therefore, Hey! BaalEndhu ChoodaamanE! When are you going to give me the
bhaagyam of doing susrushai to you?

Sri GurubyO Namaha!