[Advaita-l] waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Oct 12 06:13:05 CDT 2009

Dear Ramesh,

Thank you for your response.

Jnana does not come from books alone, or advice alone; or experience alone. But, as the sages agree, one may be graced with moments of greater consciousness which point the way towards jnana in its purity.

Such moments have encouraged my own sadhana. I make no claims to have 'experienced' turiya any more than, as you wisely say, this is the awareness of the presence of atman which is always with us in all states and underlies them.

Perhaps the first thing to say is, let us not confuse the term samadhi which is presented as a stage in Patanjali's ashtanga yoga, with turiya as the fourth state. Of course they are intimately related. I'm referring to turiya. Samadhi is both 'necessary and sufficient' on the path of yoga to kaivalya, yogis would say ?

I'm currently reading Arvind Sharma's attempt at looking at these states and their interdependence, in his 'The Experiential Dimension of Advaita Vedanta'.  His researches are interesting, but somewhat limited by his taking Ramana and Nisargadatta as the only two to have 'experienced' Advaita Vedanta -- tough on the rest of us !

I want to do nothing more than raise the subject of the interdepence of the three states; I feel that it is always time for re-assessment of the terms we use so habitually. In particular, I'm interested, as a poet, on what might link the 'dreaming' of fantasy, the 'dreaming' of scientists such as Kekulé, and the 'creative dreaming' of poets, which seems to employ more of the resources of the mind than are commonly used; and, I would say, are all related in some way to truth. (I won't get into sci-fi, as regarded by its enthusiasts as a means of 'imagining' truth...)

And yes of course, atman provides all the answers to all the questions... which was the starting point for these reflections anyway. If one is graced by a 'higher moment' I find it good to relinquish personal claims and offer it to others -- to be squashed or taken up, as may be !

if this question interests you, would you like to say more ?

Regards,
Michael