[Advaita-l] Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna (was Re: Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 5)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Oct 15 04:16:08 CDT 2009

praNAms Sri Karthik prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Sri K prabhuji :

It is from Sankara's Brahma sUtra bhAShya 3.4.20:

bhaskar :

Thanks for this reference prabhuji, I've gone through the complete
adhikaraNa bhAshya yesterday night.  This adhikaraNa has three sUtra-s
(3-4-18 to 3-4-20)and called as 'parAmarshAdhikaraNa'.  If you see the
pUrvapaxa objection and vedAntins answer (siddhAnta) to this objection you
will come to know the the context here is to prove saNyAsa is shruti
siddhA vidhi (advocated by shruti as an injunction) and it is not mere
referential quote (parAmarsha)as argued by jaimini. So, first of all, this
adhikaraNa is not there to prove the impossibility of brahma saMsthA-s or
jnAni-s in other Ashrama but to eulogise the saNyAsa Ashrama & should be
considered as an apoorva vidhi.  It is in this regard shankara says
following :

Sri K prabhuji :

  "Reply: Steadiness in Brahman (brahma-saMstha) is to be
  completely absorbed in Brahman (brahmaNi parisamAptiH),
  with no other occupation (na-anya-vyaapaara) but to be
  established in THAT (tan-nishhThatvam). THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE
  (na saMbhavati) FOR THOSE IN THE FIRST THREE ASHRAMAS
  (trayANAmAshramANAM). For by giving up one's vocation,
  one commits sin. It is possible for the SANNYASI ALONE
  (parivrAjakasya tu) to give up all karma (sarvakarmasaMnyAsAt)
  and yet commit no sin."

bhaskar :

this is the argument shankar putforward to prove that for 'Urdhva
rEtaska-s' Ashrama is a vidhi coz. here purvapaxi is objecting that 'trayO
dharma skandhAH' chAndOgya shruti is for only reference not a vidhi
(infact if we see chAndOgya bhAshya, shankara argues little
differently)...Why shankara saying here brahma saMstha status is not
possible for other ashrami-s?? coz. as himself says : they can not give up
their karma coz. it leads to 'pratyavAya'.  The point to be noted here
shankara is not talking about the karma yOgi-s here, he is talking about
the karmi-s in these respective Ashrama-s.  Because here karma yOgi does
not give up karma, he does karma without any attachment to it & whatever
he does he sees inaction in it.  karmaNyakarma yaH pashyet..says geeta
chArya..so this is not giving up of karma but doing karma with ahaMkAra
tyAga, samatva buddhi, phala tyAga & IshvarArpaNa. sarvakarmANi manasA
saMnyasyAste sukhaM vashi, navadvAre pure dehe naiva kurvanna
kArayan..Because his (karmayOgi-s) karma has been burnt away by the
jnAnAgni coz. he is kAma saMkalpavarjita, nitya trupta and nirAshraya..So
it is too much reading between the lines if one conclude that other
Ashrami-s who are seemingly doing karma with a perfect karma yOga is not
brahma saMstha-s !!

Dear Karthik prabhuji, have you gone through the complete commentary of
this sUtra??  shankara before saying the above, admits the possibility of
brahMa saMstha in all the FOUR Ashrama-s.

Sri K prabhuji :

It is plenty obvious that according to Sankara, STEADINESS IN BRAHMAN
(brahma-saMstha) is possible ONLY in the sannyAsa-Ashrama, and NOT in the
other three Ashramas!

bhaskar :

As said above, shankara himself accepts the possibility of brahma
saMsthA-s in all the four Ashrama-s. So, this is only selective quoting
and for which I dont have any objection coz. I am not denying the brahma
saMsthA-s in saNyAsa Ashrama..but I am questioing the declaration such as
"ONLY saNyAsi is brahma saMstha" and nobody else".

Sri K prabhuji :

This is exactly why svAmi VidyAraNya also says that one who has attained
to BrahmaGYAna in the householder stage must take up vidvat-sannyAsa to
attain steadiness in GYAna (sthita-praGYa or jIvanmukta).

bhaskar :

But as far as I remember you only argued sometime back (during the
discussion on jeevanmukti viveka) that 'all sthitha praJna-s are NOT
jeevan mukta-s and there is gradations in brahma jnAni-s.  BTW, I am not
aware of the difference between the degrees of brahma jnAna & jeevan mukti
status.  Though it is quite evident in the later Acharya-s works.  Anyway,
this topic is altogether a different issue.

Sri K prabhuji :

I hope your "taking a look at it" will not result in disproving Sankara
:-)

bhaskar :

See prabhuji, I am not disproving shankara but trying to say shankara
trying to convey 'something' else also in this sUtra bhAshya itself:-))

Sri K prabhuji :

It is immensely clear to all sensible people that Sankara himself declares
that sannyAsa is required for steadiness in GYAna in his BSB 3.4.20.

bhaskar :

Yes, it is clear for those who studied the whole adhikaraNa bhAshya that
saNyAsa is eulogized in this context as an apUrva vidhi & at the same time
admitting the possibility of jnAna in other Ashrama-s also.  Otherwise, we
have to push aside vidhura, dharma vyAdha, raikva, vAchaknavi, saMvarta,
yama dharma, indra, nachiketa, tulAdhAra who are all unfortunately
non-sanyAsi-s and atyAshramis as ajnAni-s.

Regards,
Kartik

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar