[Advaita-l] waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 15 07:18:08 CDT 2009

Dear Kathirasanji,

Namaste,

I am not posing questions to you from the high pedestal of an all-knowing person. I am genuinely concerned at what you said. The more learned scholars  will also tell us what they think on these issues.

Adi Sankaracharya's guru Givinda Bhagavadpada was said to be the Patanjali reborn and he must have been an expert in the Yoga tradition. So it is difficult to believe that Adi Sankaracharya was deficient in Yoga in any way. Add to this the declaration  of the Shiva Samhita that Hatha and the Raja yoga has to go together. We need not scratch our head searching for literature references as this background information itself is sufficient to show that Adi Sankarachary- was well versed in Hatha and Raja Yoga. From the Vijaya text we know that before his parakaya pravesh Adi Sankaracharya assured his disciples not to worry as he was well versed in Vajroli to preserve his  brahmacharya. Does this not show that he was accomplished in Hatha yoga?. With whatever knowledge I have on Yoga I am convinced that only a great master in Yoga can say like what Adi Sankaracharya said as Vajroli is probably the most difficult Mudra to perform. Personally I still believe
 that the Yogataravali should be of Adi Sankaracharya. In fact there is another Yoga text attributed to Adi Sankaracharya and you might be aware of that. That the Hatha practice belonged only to the Natha Sampradaya  is also difficult accept. Patanjali did not go into details of the Hatha does not mean that he denied Hatha. Last chapter of the Hatha Yoga Pradipika is on Samadhi and  the Yoga Sutra begins with the Samadhi pada. Both these may not be part of a single text divided into two yet they have the inseparable relation. I feel that a master like Adi Sankaracharya had the knowledge of all the six Darshanas, Dharmashastras, all the Vedas and Vedangas and he cited some puranas too. With this great erudition if he says something that may not automatically be to the exclusion of other relevent shastras unless he specifically denied any particular shastra. I am not challenging your scholarship but wanted to compare facts.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya