[Advaita-l] Advaita vedanta or not? (was RE: waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive)

Kathirasan K brahmasatyam at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 02:38:12 CDT 2009

Namaste Vidyashankarji,

The Taittiriya Upanishad reference could be one of the sources for the
eventual genesis of the Tantra/Agama tradition. I won't deny it. In fact you
have the Katha Upanishad & the early Maitri Upanishad too to come to your
rescue.

However, what makes Advaita Vedanta a purna vidya is its uncompromising
value for Jnana, which is the ONLY MEANS to mukti. And I know that both of
us know this with certainty. Therefore, I am not looking for references from
the Upanishads as a pramana for justifying everything and anything under the
guise of upasanas that help one to gain chitta shuddhi. For example, would
vedantins practice the kama shastra as described in the final chapter of the
Brhadaranyaka Upanishad for the reason that it appears in a Upanishad
commented by Shankara? So, I am not looking for cursory references but
rather direct evidence to answer my original questions which you have quoted
below.

One thing appears to be clear is that both of us agree more than we disagree
on matters of Vedantic epistemology. Therefore, let us agree to disagree on
this small matter. :) Shubha Dipavali.

Kathirasan