[Advaita-l] Advaita vedanta or not? (was RE: waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive)

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 16 14:53:00 CDT 2009

> > Kindly pardon me I am not able to get the intended meaning of your
> above assertion!! 'A saMpradAya lies not in a fossilized text &
> commentary'...what exactly does it mean prabhuji?? Over the ages shruti &
> smruti texts do not undergo any change and nobody dared to make even an
> attempt to change it to suit to the current day & age.. so in a sense,

Bhaskar, you know exactly what I mean! I am criticizing the methodology of

those who think they can extract "truer" and "more authentic" meaning from

the source texts.

When I say these are not fossilized texts, I mean that you cannot attempt

to decry all later interpreters and then somehow miraculously "retrieve" the

"original" intent and meaning preserved in the source texts.

> to 'mUlabhAshyakAra' & his works...We cannot claim that fossilized texts &
> my mUlAcharya-s commentaries on it are not suitable to this day and age
> and hence we have to resort to the commentaries of later Acharya-s who
> have the 'better understanding' of current trend, date and age!!

It is I who cannot find the intended meaning in the above assertion!

The commentaries of the later AcArya-s are also similarly smRti, for those who

truly value tradition! You are making an entirely unwarranted distinction between

the mUla bhAshyakAra and those who came after him in the sampradAya.

Vidyasankar