[Advaita-l] Fw: Re: waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive

Vishy vishy1962 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 18 04:01:36 CDT 2009

--- On Sun, 18/10/09, Vishy <vishy1962 at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Vishy <vishy1962 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive
To: "A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta" <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
Date: Sunday, 18 October, 2009, 1:41 PM

Dear Michealji

Let me try to share my inderstsnding in this rgeard......

What you see or experience in waking state only gets reprojected in dream state and all these would remain latent in deep sleep state, only to make you desire / fear such experience once again when you wakeup. As long as our attention is focused to the material things/ thoughts , we get trapped in this cycle and can never experience the fouth state at all.

All these three states are well with in the grips of Mind which is seat of the Ego. Thus we identify everything with this 'I' as I am doing , I am dreaming and I was sleeping. Breaking this cycle and going beyond this is to reach the witnessing state, the fourth.

But to even reach this state we should use the mechanisms of the same mind. That is to see / study the stuff that leads to the truth (shravana), continue the same very thoughts even in your dream (manana) and let that go down deep even in deep sleep state (niddyasana) so that cycle is broken in course of time. Possibly palying the same tricks of the mind to encounter itself. But we should be well aware that we are indulging in the same trick to counter the tricks of the mind otherwise we will get sucked into the illusion of chasing enlightenment.

Pranams
Vishy