[Advaita-l] Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna (wasRe:Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 5)

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 20:25:22 CDT 2009

Sunilji,

A person can attain jeevan mukthi at anytime in his life so much so it can
take place in any varna or aasrama he happens to be in.  In all such cases
the sravaNam mananam and nidhidhyaasanam must have taken place in the
previous life.  However there is always a Guru involved in the attainment of
realization and He comes to him in any form.  For example the Hill of
Arunachala was Bhagavan Ramana's Guru.

A realized person is a Gnaani par excellence!  A realized person has thus no
varna or dharma associated with him on liberation.  Kannappa Nayanar was a
realized person yet he continued to hunt the animals.

We should not overlook this important fact as otherwise we may lose
ourselves to the emphasis of the duty part (karma).

Now on Bhakthi.  Bhagavan Ramana says: "Hruthsale manah swasthathaa kriya,
bhakthi yoga bodhaascha nischitham".  Keeping one's mind in his own heart is
Karma Yoga, Bhakthi Yoga, Raja Yoga and Gnaana Yoga!