[Advaita-l] Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna (was Re: Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 5)

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 17:02:30 CDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 3:21 PM, S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Tue, 10/20/09, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
>
>> This is not ignorance but, quite
>> frankly, deliberate utterance of untruth.
>>

>> praNAms
>> Hare Krishna
>>
>> 'A gratuitous personal attack' This is what ultimately one
>> can expect when
>> the deep rooted delusions attacked...Thanks for your
>> invaluable verdicts
>> on me prabhuji.
>>

> I do not see any personal attack here, just a statement of fact.
>
> Sankara says: "BrahmasaMstha is to be completely absorbed in Brahman, with no other occupation but to be established in THAT. THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR THOSE IN THE FIRST THREE ASHRAMAS."
>
> You maintain: "BrahmasaMstha IS POSSIBLE in the first three ashramas."
>
> Your position is diametrically opposed to Sankara's.
>
> At worst, you are willing to directly contradict Sankara whenever his commentary does not suit your taste.
>
> At best (if can be called "best"), Sankara is stressing on the need for sannyAsa to attain BrahmasaMstha, whereas you are downplaying it.

Kartik,

I am not sure if you got the joke here. Apparently Shyams comment is a
personal attack due to attack on "deep rooted delusions".
Bwhahhhhaaaa! This made my day. Here we have a clear cut statement
from Sankara and we have people mistaking purvapaxa arguments for
siddhaanta apparently attacking deep-rooted delusions. Only in the
internet :-).

Rama