[Advaita-l] Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna (was Re: Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 5)

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 22 00:06:52 CDT 2009

What is generally taught by advaitins is:
"For one who has attained GYAna in the householder stage, vidvat-sannyAsa is prescribed in order to steady the GYAna and achieve jIvanmukti".

Unfortunately, the above has been (intentionally?) misinterpreted, and some myths have been propagated in this thread...

Myth # 1: "sannyAsa is the only way to mukti".
Reality: One who practises karma and upAsanA may attain to Brahmaloka and achieve krama-mukti. One who attains GYAna in the householder stage may continue to live the life of a householder and achieve videhamukti on the dissolution of the body. These people attain to mukti without ever taking up sannyAsa.

Myth # 2: "All GYAnIs are sannyAsIs"
Reality: It is admitted that GYAna can be obtained in the householder stage, but that GYAna is likely to be unsteady. As already mentioned, vidvat-sannyAsa is a prescription for **jIvanmukti**.

Myth # 3: "ALL GYAnIs without exception must take up sannyAsa for jIvanmukti".
Reality: There MAY be GYAnIs whose GYAna is steady even in the householder stage, but such cases are so rare that Sankara Himself does not accept this as reasonably possible (BSB 3.4.20). Even if such cases do occur - exceptions prove the rule.

Regards,
Kartik