[Advaita-l] Mithya and Maya

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 1 23:34:03 CDT 2009

You can look at it from this angle. Lord Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita that He created this world from a part of His. That way all creation is Brahman and this Jagat is Brahman if we realise the truth. This means when we attain Brahmajnana everything is Brahman. Khalvidam Brahma. But as long as we do not see through Maya we cannot see the unity or oneness. These concepts were never sorted out in the ancient past through exchange of written notes. The Guru used to clarify the doubts of the disceples sitting in front of them . If one word or sentence confuses the disciples that could be sorted out then and there. If the great Adi sankara could have imagined that there would be such a great controversy over the word "Mithya" then he would have certainly written another treatise entirely explaining what he meant by the word "Mithya". But probably he hoped that we would be intelligent enough to understand what he meant.