[Advaita-l] pradhanika rahasya - The mystery of the foundation

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Sep 30 00:35:21 CDT 2009

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Jaldhar Vyas prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Before the rahasyas we say either the vedokta or tantrokta devisukta
(usually the latter) then after them the navarna etc. you mentioned and
finally Siddhakunjika stotra.  I'll post a translation of that one soon.

>  thanks for the clarification.  We recite both vedOkta & taNtrOkta
devisUkta...and before pArAyaNa of chandi we recite both vedOkta &
tantrOkta (or paurANokta) rAtri sUktaM.  And in chandi hOma, after
pUrNAhuti, during vasOrdhAra we say the 4th adhyAya and karOti rUpAni veda
maNtra in ghana pattern.

As far as I know it is not required to say them quietly.  The recitation
as a whole should be done in a steady, even voice.

>  But, here in South India (especially where I go as a Ritvik) we
normally recite these quietly.  But other maNtra-s (kavachArgalkeela
stOtra, devi,rAtri sUkta and trayOdashAdhyAya we say in  'madhyama svara'.

The rahasyas are part of the Markandeya Mahapurana just like the Devi
Mahatmya itself.  Thus they are "public".  Diksha is not needed to say
them in a normal reading.

> thanks prabhuji for the clarification...but as I said above, in South
India, I dont know, we have been saying these stOtra-s quietly.  I need
further clarification on this existing practice in South India from the
prabhuji-s who are familiar with South Indian tradition.  Perhaps, Sri
Sastri prabhuji or Ananda Hudli prabhuji would throw more light on this.

There is a form called sampuTa PaTha where each mantra of the saptashati
is preceded and followed by another
mantra of various types for various siddhis.  One needs diksha from a
Sadguru for that.

>  Yes, this saMputeekaraNa style of chanting we do only in shata chandi
or Ayata shata chandi hOma-s.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar