[Advaita-l] Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 4

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Sep 30 23:48:44 CDT 2009

praNAms Sri Karthik prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Even Sankara allows for the possibility that Janaka was not a jIvanmukta
in his commentary on Gita 3.20:

"atha aprAptasamyagdarshanAH janakAdayaH tadA karmaNA
sattvashuddhisAdhanabhUtena krameNa saMsiddhimAsthitA iti"

"If it be held that Janaka (and others) did not attain to GYAna, then it
can be said that they achieved purification of the mind (sattva-shuddhi)
which gradually led to liberation." Note that Sankara permits for the lack
of saMyag-GYAna by Janaka.

> Anyway, it is not a categorical declaration by shankara that Janaka was
not a jnAni, as you know, it is his second option after accepting that
janakAdi-s were jnAni-s but continuing their action because of past
momentum.  So this is not going to help those who favour saNyAsAshrama for
the mukti.  But what about arjuna??  shankara himself says in geeta
bhAshya that arjuna has become a samyagdarshi & got samyagjnAna after
geetOpadesha.  Ofcourse, we all know he is not a saNyAsi.  'dhruva' again
a kshtriya and 'prahlAda' a dAnava by birth both are parama jnAni-s say
our purANa & itihAsa.  Kindly dont think I am arguing this issue with
you..Just I think it is totally unwarranted to link jnAna & jeevanmukti
ONLY to sanyAsAshrama when we have somany examples against this
contention.

Sankara and Sureshvara repeatedly say that one achieves GYAna only from
the shruti.

>  And for that matter shankara also allows AtmajnAna to other
varNAshrami-s (including shUdra-s) through the shravaNa of itihAsa /
purANa.  So, when we say gyAna is only from shruti, it means those who
have vedAdhikAra, for them shruti is the ONLY means for jnAna.  But it
doesnot disallow Atma jnAna to shudra-s & stree-s..shankara makes this
clear in sUtra bhAshya (1-4-38): eshAm punaH pUrvakruta saMskAravashAt,
vidura, dharmavyAdha prabhruteenAM jnAnOtpattihi, teshAM na shakyate
phalaprAptihi pratisheddhum, jnAnasya IkAntika phalatvAt,
'shrAvayetcchaturO varNAn'(a quote from mOksha dharma)iti cha 'itihAsa
purANAdhigame chAturvarNasya adhikAra smaraNAt.

>  it is not an exceptional case of vidura & dharmavyAdha shankara talking
here, he grants adhikAra to all the four varNAshrami-s and categorically
says when jnAna dawns it is ONE and the SAME to ONE and ALL irrespective
of his/her Ashrama...(jnAnasya IkAntika phalatvAt).

> vidhura & dharmavyAdha-s,
> who  were shUdra-s, not
> jeevan mukta-s,

It can be said that even though Vidura and others may have had GYAna, they
may have lacked steadiness in their GYAna.

>  Kindly pardon me prabhuji, I dont think shankara saying this when he
exclusively talking about jnAna related to vidura & dharmavyAdha.

Regards,
Kartik

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar