[Advaita-l] Turiya vs. Deep Sleep (was Re: The Status and Role of Scripture in Advaita - Part 2)

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 20:54:09 CDT 2010

Namaste.

Dear Kartik, my citing the Dashashloki was to answer the particular question
of Sunil ji: whether 'Guru' exists in 'that' state?  The Br.Up. mantra is
about the sleep state and how all identities are lost there.  This prompted
Sunil ji to ask that question.  Obviously, the answer should be: Even the
'Guru' identity is not there.  The Dashashloki verse shows how the Guru as a
separate individual is not there in the Paramarthika too.  Is that not a
'sAmyam' between sleep and Turiya?  As already stated, the entire set of a
dozen mantras or so in the Janaka - Yajnavalkya discussion is devoted to
demonstrate the Liberated state through the illustration of the three
states, with a particular emphasis of the sleep state. The suShupti avasthaa
offers several similarities to the Turiya state.  Yajnavalkya cashes in on
this phenomenon to instruct Janaka about the Triya state.

I think there the whole issue is clear.

Best regards,
subrahmanian.v