[Advaita-l] A vichAra on Swatantra & Paratantra (Independent & dependent Realities)

Shrisha Rao shrao at nyx.net
Sat Apr 10 09:13:45 CDT 2010

El abr 10, 2010, a las 6:56 p.m., V Subrahmanian escribió:

> Namaste.
>
> One cannot expect the Madhva school to accept vyavaharika satya.

Sure, which is precisely the point.  I also do wonder if your theories are even accurate as per Advaita, because you have invested Vishnu, the qualified Brahman, with पारमार्थिक-सत्यत्व, whilst the classical Advaitic authors (e.g., Madhusudana Saraswati that I am aware of) regard only the निर्गुण as being so, and the सगुण as also व्यावहारिक like the world.  Thus, you have achieved the feat of coming up with a Vedantic theory that is unacceptable to Advaitins as well as Dvaitins.

> However, I found the following excerpt very much in tune with the Advaitic
> interpretation of the 'वाचारम्भणश्रुतिः’:
>
> http://www.indiadivine.org/articles/218/1/Philosophy-of-Dvaita-Vedanta/Page1.html
>
> // The dependence of the world of matter and the souls on Brahman is in the
> sense that both are functioning at His will, which is the essential
> condition and sustaining principle *that invests them with their reality and
> without which they would be but void names and bare possibilities. //
>
> *Of course, it is easy to dismiss this also as not accurate.

That's correct, it of course is.  They would not even be names or bare possibilities without Brahman's will.  In any case, I don't think that is particularly close to the Advaitic interpretation.  A proper excerpt of Madhva's view on that Shruti (which should be the sense conveyed by that URL) would be:

"वाचारम्भणं विकारो नामधेयं मृत्तिकेत्येव सत्यम्" (छा.उ. ६.१.४) इत्यत्र च `वाचा' नाम्नां `आरम्भणम्', `विकारः' अविकृतं नित्यं `नामधेयम् मृत्तिकेत्येव' इत्येतद्वचनं `सत्यं', इति श्रुत्यर्थः ।  न च `वाचारम्भण'शब्दोऽपि मिथ्यात्वे प्रसिद्धः | `वाचारम्भणमात्रम्' इति च अश्रुतकल्पनम् | तस्मिन्पक्षे, `नामधेय'शब्दः, `इति'शब्दश्च व्यर्थस्स्यात्? अतो, न कुत्रापि जगतो मिथ्यात्वमुच्यते |

> Regarding the Madhva interpretation of the Bhagavad Gita II-12 (नत्वेवाहं
> जातु नासं न त्वं नेमे जनाधिपाः)  there exists an article in the Advaita L
> website where some comments are available -
> http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/articles/Mananam.pdf

A decent effort, but it should be improved with a proper study of the original sources, rather than taking off from some other summary.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao