[Advaita-l] A study of a chapter of the book `BhAmatI-samAlochanam'.

savithri devaraj savithri_devaraj at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 15:54:18 CDT 2010

> Of course, it is granted by all that a jnAnI does not care
> for the body and does
> not identify with it. However, that does not take away the
> philosophical problem
> of its status post-jnAna. For most of the traditional
> sub-commentators, since
> avidyA has a role in causing material embodiment, it is
> natural enough to say
> "avidyA-leSa" with respect to the continued presence of the
> material body. For
> those who view avidyA as purely an epistemological device,
> that doesn't make
> sense. It is this fundamental disagreement about the SarIra
> that causes the
> major dispute here. Isn't it ironic, in a way, that vedAnta
> is SArIraka mImAMsA?!!

On the contrary, it is quite apt and makes perfect sense.

All this, including this discussion, is in the realm of a subjective ignorance, which is completely negated on the realization that I have never been tainted by avidya ever. Since it is mithyA and is only a concession in the empirical view, avidya is an epistemological device only. Yes, vedAnta makes one realize their asarIratva.

Savithri