[Advaita-l] Prayascitta question

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 22:40:22 CDT 2010

Hari Om, Bagirathi Mataji,

I wouldn't comment taking your example since the pain remains in the mind.
Suppose a similar pain has been suffered by me in this life and I consider
another person who as the cause of imposing it. Now, considering karma
theory, I would never really know if I was really innocent because my vision
is limited to this life. I wouldn't know if my behaviour in previous lives
has caused such grief or more to this person or others. If I forgive right
away, even if I am unable to forget soon, considering that its my prArabdha
indeed, then I have nothing to hang on to, but for time to heal the pain. If
I keep the grudge, I would be adding to my sancita which would require me to
take birth again. Even if I have been innocent in earlier lives too, I
shouldn't want to increase my karma intending any harm to this person. Of
course, its easier said than done, but thats my understanding and thats what
I try to do in my limited human capacity. Ramana Maharshi was attacked by
some thieves who couldn't find much to steal in the ashram and gave him as
well as others a beating. It seems when the police asked the Maharshi to
identify the thief who beat him, he said "“Find out whom I beat [in a
previous birth], for it is he who has beaten me now!"

Coming to the perpetrators of the sin, there are prAyascittas for wrong
doing and they are indeed said to reduce sin. If nothing else, they let the
person suffering due to having committing sins or due to result of earlier
sins from keeping his cittam calm.

gurorarpaNamastu,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */