[Advaita-l] Knowledge, renunciation and varNASrama rules

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 11:06:21 CDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Praveen R. Bhat <bhatpraveen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hari OM, Venkatesh ji,
>
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan
>> <svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > The word "anadhikRta" here refers to those who do not have requisite
>> > adhikAra for various vaidika karmA-s,
>>

>  On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> in 3 4.20 Adi
>> Sankara is saying other Brahmins who have sacred thread but not
>> performing Yajnas can take Sanyasa.
>>

> Apologies for jumping in. I can understand a Brahmin perhaps not performing
> yaj~na but could you please explain how could he be anadhikRta, meaning not
> having adhikArA as per your interpretation? What is a Brahmin not eligible
> for?

If he is a Brahmin widower he cannot perform Yajnas. If he is
Brahmachari finished studies but not married he is a Snataka he cannot
perform Yajnas. If he has some Vrata he cannot. If he has no Agni he
cannot.

For all these Anadhikrutas Adi Sankara says they can become Sanyasi.
He gives Jabala Upanishad reference for this.  The Anadhikrutas will
not be Sudras and Stris. That is very big jump Adi Sankara is not
making.

Regards

-Venkatesh