[Advaita-l] Knowledge, renunciation and varNASrama rules

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Aug 19 03:49:05 CDT 2010

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Jaldhar Vyas prabhuji
Hare Krishna

But just because using a computer is not mentioned in the Vedas doesn't
make it any less of a karma to be
renounced if one seeks mukti.  Indeed such an error of restriction leads
to the perverse idea of modern pseudoadvaitins that you can do anything
you like _except_ for religious rituals.

>  prabhuji, the naked truth (nagna satyaM) behind the above statement of
your goodself piercing my heart like an arrow!!  Yes, when I do
introspection, the guilty conscious in me throws me a simple question,
what are you doing here in mundane saMsAra?? entangling yourself in shOka
& mOha despite 'knowing' what is ultimate purushArtha ??  Frankly I donot
have the answer and at present I donot want to find answer to this
question!! it is because the socalled 'saMsAra bandhana' is 'priyaM' and
'hitaM' to my heart & I donot want to come out of it!!  Yes, I know
indulging in 'money-earning' karma, bondage with 'patni', 'putra' 'mitra'
etc. are quite rigorous and resulting in accumulation of mountains &
mountains of karma phala..But I cant help it!!  A consoling answer &
justification comes from my materialistic mind is that, see, there are
dependents (like small school going kids, wife, a typical South Indian
housewife who does not know much about outside the four walls of her
home!!)  who are waiting for my service...So, I have to be there with them
to serve them as long as I live, during the course of my duty it is but
natural that there will be shOka & mOha but haven't I doing nitya karma,
vedAdhyayana, vedAnta chitana etc. am I not spiritualizing/philosophizing
my official duty and timings also by involving in vedAntic discussion in
electronic media with cybernet satsangis??  are these 'sAdhana-s' not
enough for me atleast for the time being to cultivate necessary 'vairAgya'
at the future time?? 'NO', my practical & objective mind comes on me hard
with a thumping answer...No, what you are doing is NOT enough if you are
really serious about your 'sAdhana'...yes, ofcourse, you are observing
nitya karma-s, doing vedAdhyayana, vedAnta chitana etc. but these are all
quite monotonous and mechanical in your daily routine and intensity &
'purpose' lacking in these socalled 'spiritual' routines & you are
performing these acts just like other routines of your material life like
brushing your teeth, taking bath, playing badminton, going out with your
family for party, cinema, playing with your kids etc.  What special place
you have given to your spiritual sAdhana to boost 'vairAgya' in you to
claim that it would fetch you vairAgya at a future date??  Again, my
samsAri mind does not want to entertain this type of straight foward
questions and tries to curb questions like this in the bud..So, prabhuji
strictly speaking in one way or the other I too belong to the category of
pseudo vedAntins but with a slight change :  'I love to be there in
saMsAra & to lead saMsAra with patni-putra with small bit of veda &
vedAnta as daily routine' till I get 'vairAgya' to renounce everything!!
prabhuji, what is your advice to the persons like me?? I dont think I am
better than pseudo advaitins what you have mentioned above. When I asked
same question to my guruji, he said : "pray the almighty earnestly"..

Sorry if I bored you with my personal problems...

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar